It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Tips
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:41 pm 

I am going to try and take photos of a night time football this Friday, first of all I will be on the side lines and the lighting is well ok but nothing to write home about. I will be using a Canon 60D camera with a 70-200 MM f2.8 lens, I am looking for some tips on what settings I should use, I normally shoot in TV with a shutter speed of anywhere between 125 and 320 depending on what effect I want but this is always been during the day I have seen other photographers using a flash at night also.
Can someone please give me some advice here and point me in the right direction

Thanks Pop Pop Jim

Post subject: Re: Tips
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:44 am 

Hi Jimmy,

Hope this reply is not too late. I shoot Nikon, but can probably give you a few tips that may be of assistance.

1. Try shooting without a flash. With a 70-200mm f2.8 you should be able to shoot without a flash.
2. Bump up your ISO 1600, 2000, 2500 or higher. See what you can tolerate in the way of Noise. I think Cannon typically handles Noise pretty well, so you should be able to shoot at the higher ISOs.
3. Make sure you have your lens hood on. You'll need it with the stadium lights.
4. Depending on the speed of action, you may need to shoot at a 400-500 shutter speed. This will be depend on your ISO setting and the effects you want in your images (e.g. stopping the action completely or showing a little motion blur.) I've even worked a little with exposure compensation to get the images I want.
5. Consider making your focus point one of the upper center focus points...it has helped me keep the faces in focus with my 2.8.
5. If the team has a night practice a day or two before the game, take advantage of this time to shoot and then look at your images on something other than the camera's LED screen to see how much noise is in your images. Gives you a little time to correct before the game.
6. Each field's lighting is different. You should be prepared for that and depending on game start you may need to tweak your settings as the game progresses. I have a "cheat sheet" of fields we frequent with notes on successful settings.
7. If Noise is a problem, but necessary to get the shot, consider investing in noise software. Noise Professional, Noise Ninja are two that come to mind.

Best of Luck! I'm sure there are others on this forum that have more experience than I do, but I have learned these through my own experiences or others shepherding me along!